I used to think my boyfriend was a one off (nut case). I'd lived a sheltered existence far away from the clutches of the gaming phenomenon that is…Street Fighter.
I used to naively think that my boyfriend enjoyed spending a normal amount of time playing computer games. But that was before we moved in together! I was completely unprepared for what was to come. Hours spent in front of the TV practicing, friends over going at it all day, advanced tactics videos on youtube. I mean come on, It must get boring after a while!
During the first few months at our new flat, I came to question if given the ultimatum, would Street Fighter 4 would take priority over me?
The other day, I came home from work to find six guys who looked like they would never hang out together, all gathered round our TV playing the game. It looked like a Benetton ad was being filmed in our living room. They were Chinese, Japanese, Jamaican, African and plain old English. After I got over the initial shock, I thought it was amazing how SF4 and games in general bring together geeks from all around the world. I’ve seen him spend hours quite happily with Japanese people who don’t speak a word of English!
Our homepage on our iMac used to be the Guardian website, where I would keep up with all the latest news but now it's www.shoryuken.com (Street Fighter forum) and it’s always up or in the background.
As much as SF4 can get on my nerves though, I’d love to have a hobby that I’m so obsessed with (or dedicated to depending on who you ask).
So my new mission is to find a proper hobby. Suggestions would be very welcome!
He's just started to play less which I thought was fantastic. Now I find out that he's "resting" in anticipation of a new Street Fighter which is coming out next month… great.

2 comments:
is it healthy to have an obsession- im sorry, my bad, HOBBY- that takes up so much of your time? i think your boyfriend should spend some time away from the game- the suns out! hobbies are over-rated anyway. detracts from sleep... ;-)
Studies have found that people who play games are better at processing visual information then people who don't. As an example, a games player is likely to see and react to a hazard then their non games playing driving counterpart. They also have much better hand eye co-ordination and problem solving skills. Games have also been proved to have an anti-depressant effect on the elderly as well.
And what part of the Sun is out? Where do you live? If you want to be the best you can't let distractions like, sleep, food or even going to the toilet get in the way. That's dedication.
Post a Comment